Winning isn’t everything

Have you ever been in a queue for so long that you feel like falling asleep? Well I have. I’ve been in this queue for 2 hours waiting to ride it – the sensational hot air balloon. As I step up to the platform, I tell myself, “This is it; this is my dream becoming a reality.”

I’m Jim and throughout my childhood I have dreamed of becoming a hot air balloon racer. I can picture myself clutching my gleaming gold medal in my scorched hands, an inferno of fireworks bursting above my head to celebrate my triumph. Could this be my chance?

My heart pounds like a drum. I put one foot into the basket and then another. I suddenly hear the roar and crackle of a raging fire above my head. My feet are no longer on the ground… I feel free but I also feel small. It is overwhelming, my stomach is churning and I am both light-headed and jubilant.

I look up but the sun and sapphire blue sky is blocked out by a vivid rainbow of airborne wonders; emerald green, ruby red, cornflower blue and amber orange spheres, which are gliding swiftly along with the breeze. Rapidly my balloon advances along with the vibrant competition into the downy white cotton-candy clouds, which waltz above us like dancing sheep.

Below me, a town in miniature; I see an array of buildings spreading across the distant landscape. Fields stretched out like patchwork rugs, surrounded by fir trees standing as still as soldiers.

Silence all around, interrupted only by the burner bursting into life like a vicious dragon’s roar.

Out of the shadowy clouds, gusty winds usher us forward. Catching the thermal waves our balloon soars powerfully higher and higher with the determination to win, sailing forward like a tuna speeding through the water. Up and up, a sudden gust of warm air blows us into second place; this must be my best race ever. I can’t believe that my dream is being fulfilled… it’s exhilarating!

Moments later, I hear a tremendous bang! Could it be thunder? Instantly, I am reminded of a time when ballooning wasn’t so easy…

I look up and realise what has happened. The bang wasn’t thunder, but my cranky, old burner has broken. The flame is out. I try to light it but it won’t work. I blow away the grey, crusty dust and I try again, but it’s no use. I’m gradually losing altitude and I feel like all hope has gone. My dream of winning the race is over. How could this happen?

I slowly drift down and the other balloons are getting further away. The sound of their roaring burners is becoming fainter and fainter. It sounds as though they are laughing at me.

I am alone, stranded in the sapphire sky, and all I can do is cry. I feel a cold, shiny tear roll down my cheek. I reach into my pocket for some tissues but I feel something else… a matchbox. Yes! I can reignite the burner. I am suddenly filled with hope.

My hand snatches the box and pulls out a match. I strike it on the box and a flicker of fire pops out. I reach up and put it to the old, rusty burner until I feel heat sweep over my face. It worked! My hand has lit a gold, glowing fire and I see the beautiful colours of amber, rose, sunflower and buttercup. I’m back in the race, although I’m last.

I sail high into the crystal-clear blue sky, flying above the clouds. Hearing the sweet tunes of the birds fills my ears with music. The air is flying into my eyes and weaving through my hair. It is truly amazing being a hot air balloon racer.

The feeling of being back in the race is overwhelming. My desire to win grows incomprehensibly stronger. I quiver at the thought of it so badly that I accidently jerk the balloon to the right. After that incident, I decide to think of something else and focus on the race ahead.

Surging forward, I glance up at the darkening sky. Night is coming. Ahead I can see the other balloons being swallowed by the enveloping gloom. Even though I am last, I know that I am gaining. They are getting closer.

I reach up and grasp the handle that controls the fire above my head. I release more flame and can hear the flames cracking and roaring. I soon find myself racing past the others. The array of colours blur past my eyes: ruby, amber, emerald and sapphire. My eyes light up. I whisper quietly to myself, “Yes, this is it. I might be able to make my dream come true.”

Taking a breath, I breathed in the hot air as I found myself in fourth place. I could feel my heart pounding. My hands, wet with sweat, grasped the matches nervously. I was gaining, I just knew it. But would I still have time?

Charging on ahead, the finish line was in sight. Like a multi-coloured bullet I darted onwards for first place.

Unexpectedly, time seemed to freeze as the enveloping gloom drew closer. My worst fears materialised. A storm was approaching. A cloak of darkness suffocated the sky around us. The once iridescent clouds violently crashed above the balloon in front. Of all days, why today? Without any warning a sickening feeling turned my stomach into knots.

A sudden flash of light descended from nowhere. It had struck my competitors balloon. Air cascaded from the inside of the balloon leaving an empty torn wreck in its place. Immediately I knew I had to act.

As I approached the balloon flashes of flames chewed on the wicker basket below. I pulled my balloon up alongside the flames. Any minute now it would give way and a fellow competitor would lose their life. Something had to be done. Tensely I dragged him to the safety of my balloon.

Suddenly a tornado swallowed up my fellow competitor basket. Rotating violently into the eye of the storm. The clouds were advancing right for us. The finish line was only in an arm’s reach. What should I do? Should I risk my life or not? Although my head was yelling go on, my heart was screaming help. The next minute was a blur.

The next moment I remember I was being awarded a medal for courage and bravery. Coincidently it was carved as a hot air balloon and coated with gold.

I guess winning isn’t everything.

by Year 5 pupils at Stanley, Trafalgar Junior, Lowther, Heathfield Junior and Buckingham primary schools